If your group or organisation works with children or vulnerable adults, it may be necessary for paid staff and volunteers to undergo DBS checks (formerly known as CRB checks).
Why get DBS Checks for your employees and volunteers? Protect vulnerable people..
DBS Checks are designed to prevent unsuitable candidates from working with vulnerable people. If you have employees who will be working in regulated activity with children or vulnerable adults, it is against the law to employ someone who is barred from working with these groups. DBS Checks are a vital part of the safeguarding process. Avoid risk. It’s illegal to employ someone to work in regulated activity with children or vulnerable adults if they’ve been barred from doing so. Avoid risk to both your organisation and the vulnerable groups it works with by carrying out DBS Checks when required. Have confidence in your employees. DBS Checks help give you peace of mind that you’re hiring the right people for the job. If your employees aren’t eligible for Standard or Enhanced Checks, Basic Checks can give you an extra level of reassurance in your job candidates.
How can Thurrock CVS help?
As a registered DBS Umbrella Body, Thurrock CVS is able to help groups and organisations through the process of applying for DBS checks on staff and volunteers. Our role is to:
- Check and validate the information provided by the applicant on the application form
- Establish the true identity of the applicant through the examination of a range of documents using guidance provided by the DBS
- Ensure the application form is fully completed and that the information it contains is accurate
- Countersign applications to confirm that the organisation has an entitlement to access criminal records information
- Ensure compliance with the DBS’s code of practice.
Applicants and employers can use the DBS update service to keep a certificate up to date or carry out checks on a potential employee’s certificate. This service is free to volunteers and for paid workers, the subscription costs £13 per year.
What are the different levels of DBS Check?
There are three levels of check: Basic, Standard and Enhanced. The three levels have different eligibility requirements and reveal different information about the applicant.
Basic: A Basic DBS Check or Basic Disclosure will show any unspent convictions or conditional cautions the applicant has. £43.40 (Volunteers £20.40)
Standard: A Standard Check will show any spent or unspent convictions, cautions, reprimands or warnings the applicant has. £43.40 (Volunteers £20.40)
Enhanced: An Enhanced Check will show any spent or unspent convictions, cautions, reprimands or warnings the applicant has, as well as any other relevant information held by the applicant’s local police force. £60.40 (Volunteers £20.40)
A DBS check has no official expiry date. Any information included on a check will be accurate at the time the check was carried out. It is up to an employer to decide if they think a new check is needed.
For full guidance on the Disclosure & Barring Service please click here.
The ID required for DBS checks has changed slightly (as of January 2018) find out what documents you can use as ID here.
There is also guidance on when and how an organisation should make a referral to DBS following an individual being permanently removed from regulated activity. Download from here.
It can be difficult to determine if a DBS check needs to be performed, and at what level, the DBS have produced a case study with three examples to help clarify. Download from here.
If you are an organisation and would like a DBS carried
How to apply
The process is simple
- Send us an email Vanessa.email@example.com confirming your organisations full name and address, as you would like it to appear on DBS certificates. We will then get you registered.
- Requesting checks to be carried out- Email the individuals Full name, emails address and mobile number (mobile optional) and which check you require.
- We will register the individual.
- The individual will then receive an email asking them to upload their details and ID
- Once this is complete CVS will verify the details and submit.
- Once the check is complete the individual and group will receive a copy of the DBS certificate by email.
If you have any questions please give us a call on 01375 389881 or email Vanessa.firstname.lastname@example.org